Meet one of our emerging leaders.
- What do you love most about your career at Beech-Nut Nutrition?
Well, a constant supply of our excellent products to eat at my desk is pretty great, but I love connecting with the moms and dads that are buying our food and learning from them on how we can continue to improve as a company.
- What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Usually my 2nd or 3rd backup alarm. Not exactly a morning person, but once I’m up…an ever-present need to be just a little bit better than I was the day before is what keeps me going – a better husband, a better dad, a better leader, a better marketer.
- What’s your favorite perk to working at Beech-Nut Nutrition?
The location. My family and I live just south of the Adirondack mountains and we love to get outside and hike as much as possible.
- What do you do to live a balanced life?
When I’m at home, I do my best to unplug and spend that time with my amazing wife and 18-month old daughter. Outside of that, I exercise to de-stress. I work out at the company gym or swim a few times a week.
- How would you describe Beech-Nut Nutrition in 5 words or less?
Purpose-driven, Trusted, & Passionate.
- What is your favorite product that we make at Beech-Nut Nutrition?
Our organic Banana, Blueberry, Avocado pouch was the very first Beech-Nut product I ate, and it’s still my go-to choice for an afternoon snack.
- How would you describe your work style?
Analytical, thoughtful, methodical, and principled.
- If you could have dinner with someone living or dead who would it be?
Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia. He’s lived a fascinating life, and I have such admiration for him as a business leader and an environmentalist.
- What is your favorite company or person to follow?
I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with social media, so I can’t pick just one. As a marketer, I love following other purpose-driven brands like REI, Chobani, and Unilever. I also like to keep tabs on some of the brands that just kill it on social media, namely Wendy’s, MoonPie, Moosejaw, and Charmin. On the personal side, I try to follow people that inspire me and challenge me to think differently, like Seth Godin, Richard Branson, Malcolm Gladwell, or even Bill Murray.
- What is your best life hack?
Hike and camp in the winter. There’s an incredible calm and serenity in the woods during the winter. Bonus: it’s less crowded and there are no bugs.
- What have you learned at Beech-Nut Nutrition that you will never forget?
I’m learning (and continue to learn) that a simple vision, executed flawlessly can be massively impactful.
- What is the weirdest job you have ever had?
I don’t know if it qualifies as weird – but the most unique job I’ve had was installing above ground pools during the summers while I was in college. 10 hours a day, 6 days a week in the bright summer sun can do wonders for an Irish guy’s tan.
- What has been your biggest career success?
I’ve gotten the opportunity to work on some great teams thus far in my career, and I’m proud of a lot, but if I must pick one, I’d say the launch of Degree Black+White. One might assume there’s very little innovation in the deodorant category…but I led the team that launched Degree Black+White – a breakthrough formula that protected against yellow or white marks on your clothes. It was a huge success and continues to be a key differentiator for the brand today.
- What are you doing to ensure you continue to grow and develop as a leader?
Getting as much feedback from my team as I can and always learning from other leaders that inspire me – both internally at Beech-Nut and outside the company.
- What is your biggest outside interest?
My wife, my daughter, and spending as much time hiking as I can.
- What is a book you have read recently?
Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. It’s a collection and distillation of the tools, tactics, and life lessons from the 200+ world-class performers Tim has interviewed on his podcast over the last couple years.
- How do you incorporate our mission (Delight Consumers by Conserving the Goodness of Nature) into your role every day?
In my current role, it’s my responsibility to ensure we’re delighting parents with our communication and engagement at every digital touch-point.
- How and where do you find inspiration?
I consume a lot of biographical and nonfiction content. I especially like reading stories of success or failure across other industries or disciplines and translating the lessons learned to some aspect of my life or work.
- What are you most passionate about in your role?
Setting a strategic road-map for our team and seeing the progress we’re making in connecting with parents digitally.
- What are three things still left on your bucket list?
Hike the John Muir Trail, start my own business, and live in another country for at least a year.
We make baby food as close to homemade as possible; preparing it very carefully, using non-GMO verified, natural or organic ingredients in almost all of our products. Our work is organized around our mission to Delight Consumers by Conserving the Goodness of Nature. If you would like to join the BNN team, you will be surrounded by colleagues who care deeply about our mission, others, the planet, and who are empowered to make a difference.